Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Choke?

The title of this blog is College and Pro Ball. Baseball counts as pro ball, and this is the most exciting time of the year. Normally, by this time of year, I'm used to baseball being irrelevant, as I'm used to being around the mediocre Rangers. But, I live in a baseball town now (at least as far as Texas goes), and the National League has been mediocre all year.

The Astros have been pedestrian all year, and just went over .500 tonight. Last week, when the Cardinals came to town, St. Louis had a 7 1/2 game lead in the Central Division with 12 games to play. The Astros swept four from the Cardinals, are now on a seven-game winning streak, and the Cardinals are gagging on this lead. The Cardinals just lost to San Diego, while Houston beat Pittsburgh tonight.

If the Astros pass the Cardinals, it would be a worse choke than 1964, when Philadelphia blew a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 games to play, and the Cardinals won the National League pennant.

This is really strange. The Astros are within 1 1/2 games of first place, with five games to play. Wow.

5 comments:

Zee said...

They can do it! My roommate and I went last summer to a 'Stros game v. the Rangers. It was fun to have a day trip to Minute Made Park even though the Rangers lost.

Well, go Astros and I'm tired of the Rangers, even though I still love them (despite the fact that they gave away Laynce Nix).

John said...

Hey, I still like the Rangers, even if they're usually done in August. I'd like nothing more than to see them win a playoff game. If they ever went to the World Series, I would die. I do wish, though, that W would buy the team back after he's no longer President. :-) Pigs fly.

This isn't a matter of the Astros being great, but of the Cardinals gagging, and the National League being sorry. If the Astros were in the American League, they would have been done in August.

Baseball is a talking sport.

Zee said...

If we are going to say that baseball is a talking sport, then we'll have to call them the Dis-Astros!

John said...

I could call them something a lot worse than the Dis-astros, but I won't. LOL

The Cardinals may have saved their season last night. Uh oh.

Zee said...

Elf and I are still rooting for the DisAstros.