Thursday, June 21, 2007

Rivals Yahoo!

I wrote earlier of the imminent merger between Fox corporate siblings Scout.com and Myspace.com. Today brings news of the purchase of Rivals.com by Yahoo!.

I'm not the biggest fan of Rivals. I don't subscribe to their recruiting service, and I find most of their message boards hard to navigate. For their sake, hopefully Yahoo will improve the service.

In the details of the article is the following tidbit:

News Corp., a media empire controlled by Rupert Murdoch, reportedly has even offered to swap MySpace.com _ the most trafficked social networking site _ in exchange for a 25 percent stake in Yahoo. If it were consummated, the transaction would be valued at more than $10 billion, based on Yahoo's current market value.

So, if Fox owns MySpace and Scout, merge them together, then sell MySpace to Yahoo, it would combine both Scout and Rivals with MySpace. That can't be good for the sports fan.

I think I'll go check my MySpace page.

No comments: