Wednesday, August 08, 2007

NCAA Projections: Conference USA


Today's conference is Conference USA. This is the projection that I probably least enjoy doing. I find this conference rather boring and nondescript. But, it is a Football Bowl Subdivision conference, so I will project it. This is a far-flung group of schools scattered from North Carolina to almost New Mexico. Most of the schools in this conference have seen better days. They play pretty decent football at the top of the league. All of these schools struggle for exposure, competing with power conferences such as the Big 12 and SEC. Personally, if I have to choose between paying to watch Houston or Rice, and staying home to watch Big 12 games on TV, I'll choose the Big 12.

Southern Miss looks to repeat as champions of the East division. They are the best team in the division. Memphis will bounce back and finish right behind them. The rest of the division is full of mediocrity.

The West will be won by a team from the West Texas town of El Paso. UTEP and Tulsa will tie for the division lead, but UTEP will gain the tiebreaker with a head-to-head win. Houston will be solid, as well. SMU, Rice, and Tulane should consider dropping football. I'm only half-joking on that. Rice actually made it to a bowl game last year, but I expect it to be a one-year aberration after their coach left upon agreeing to a new contract.

Projected Standings:

East Division
Southern Miss 9-3 7-1
Memphis 8-4 6-2
UCF 6-6 5-3
East Carolina 6-6 4-4
Marshall 3-9 2-6
UAB 2-10 1-7

West Division
UTEP 10-2 7-1
Tulsa 10-2 7-1
Houston 8-4 6-2
SMU 5-7 3-5
Rice 2-10 1-7
Tulane 1-11 0-8

2 comments:

Zee said...

What a weak conference! I hope Rice makes it to another bowl game, although it's obvious how much you despise the fine institution.

John said...

Rice is a great institution. It's probably the best academic school in Texas. I don't hate them at all. I'm just afraid their football team is a one-year wonder. I have my doubts as to whether they can be consistently good in football.

As for SMU, well, that's a whole other story. :-)