Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Think Pink


The author of this blog is not one to embrace symbolism in favor of causes. I've never worn a ribbon of any color for any cause. However, an innovative promotion has caught fire this week in the world of college basketball, one that I think is cool.

This is "Think Pink" week. Basketball teams throughout the country are promoting breast cancer awareness in various ways. A lot of women's teams are wearing pink uniforms for this event, as Georgia did on Sunday against LSU. Home teams are sponsoring "pink-outs", encouraging fans to wear pink to games. Even the men are getting in on the act, with some teams wearing pink shoestrings and some coaches wearing pink ties.

I don't think these uniforms are ugly. While they wouldn't look good on me, I think they look pretty good.

This is a great idea. In the women's game, it helps bring attention to the cause of breast cancer awareness, and also helps promote women's basketball. Teams wearing pink jerseys won't directly cure breast cancer. However, this serves the purpose of promoting the prevention of breast cancer and research for a cure. It is a noble and worthy promotion.

3 comments:

Zee said...

Home teams are sponsoring "pink-outs", encouraging fans to wear pink to games.

TCU has been doing this for a few years now at one of their home football games.

I'm okay with promoting breast cancer awareness. I'm cautious if money is going to certain breast cancer funds because some don't meet my standards - so I don't do the pink thing at all. Sad, but true.

John said...

Absolutely true on the moral implications of some types of medical research.

That's why I mentioned that wearing a pink jersey doesn't do anything directly for the cause other than promote awareness. As long as that's all it is, I can be all for it. I have a problem when the cause becomes a subset of a wider ranging cause/worldview.

I remember now that TCU had a pink football game once per year. At least they don't make the team wear pink. :-)

Zee said...

And I wasn't even thinking about the moral implications. I was thinking about the certain groups that give some of their money to other organizations that support issues that I'm not a fan of ... at all. But, I'm beating a dead horse now so I'll stop. :)