Friday, January 12, 2007

NFL Playoff Picks: Divisional Round

Last Week: 4-0 Playoffs: 4-0

There are eight teams left in the playoffs. All eight teams won division championships. These teams have all attained various levels of success this season. Some of them are better than others. This week will separate the contenders from the pretenders.

Saturday
AFC: Indianapolis at Baltimore: The Colts return to Baltimore. The Colts have been in Indianapolis for 22 years, meaning that most of their current players likely do not remember the Baltimore Colts. The Ravens have been in Baltimore for 10 years, and may have players that don’t remember there not being a Ravens franchise in Charm City. As for the game, the Ravens should win. They have a superior defense to the Colts. The Colts still have the high-powered offense, and got a big performance from their defense last week, not allowing a first down to the Chiefs until halfway through the third quarter. I expect the Ravens’ defense to force turnovers early, and for their offense to manage the clock and win the game. Pick: Ravens
NFC: Philadelphia at New Orleans: The Eagles are flying high as the improbable champions of the NFC East. The Saints have had a magic season in their return home after Hurricane Katrina. I like the Saints a lot, and would love to see them in the Super Bowl. However, these are the Saints, so that means they will lose in the playoffs. Some things never change. The Eagles keep it going for at least one more week. Pick: Eagles

Sunday
NFC: Seattle at Chicago: The Seahawks return to the scene of a Sunday night butt-kicking from earlier this season. The Seahawks were beneficiaries of a Cowboy collapse last week in Seattle. The Bears have an unpredictable offense, and a good defense. They also have dangerous return man Devin Hester. I don’t know if the Bears can keep it up for the Super Bowl, but they’ll win this week. Pick: Da Bears
AFC: New England at San Diego: Another AFC classic. The Patriots have a coach, a quarterback, and a bunch of guys. That’s been enough for a 12-4 record and a playoff win. The Chargers have been special on both offense and defense. This is the Chargers’ Super Bowl trip to lose. They won’t lose this week. Pick: Chargers

13 comments:

Zee said...

I pick Indy, NO, Chi, and LT's team. :)

NO v. Phi is the only one I see being super close and that I could go either way on. Part of my "either way" is that I just want Garcia to take the Eagles as far as possible since McNabb's mom has opened her pie-hole so far that she could fit a can of Chunky Campbell's Soup in it and this would shut her up. So that being said, I'd like to see Phi doing well, but I don't think they'll take it to the Saints.

John said...

When it comes to the Saints: If it's too good to be true, it usually is. This franchise has won one playoff game in its history. Hurricane or no hurricane, there's some strange voodoo in that town. It'll be Jeff Garcia and the Iggles tonight.

Zee said...

Like I said, I'm okay with the Iggles winning, but I think the Saints will pull this off.

I'm watching the Indy v. Balt game and I didn't think Balt would man handle Indy so well. Even though Indy is winning 9-3 right now (baseball score), I'm impressed with Balt's D. Seeing them move onto the Superbowl would just be unAmerican, but I could see them do it. Anyway we can nominate their coat of arms to the UUOTD?

And Vinatieri's last kick was greatness. I missed having him on my team this year, although Gould did just as well if not better point-wise.

John said...

I'm even more impressed with the Colts' D. They totally sucked until the playoffs. They shut down the Chiefs, and now they're doing the same thing to the Ravens. Granted, the Ravens' offense isn't the '99 Rams, but the Colts came to play. The Ravens have a great D which carried my public league fantasy team to second place in the regular season.

The Colts look really brilliant for letting Vanderjagt go and for signing Vinatieri. It is going to be money well spent.

The red, yellow and black in that coat of arms come from the Maryland state flag. The yellow and black are taken from the state flower, the Blackeyed Susan. That is also the bouquet given to the winner of the Preakness.

At least they're not trying to wear black, yellow and red with the purple. Ugh!

Zee said...

How 'bout those Saints?!!!!

I knew it would be close. Was I right or was I right? ;)

Still feel bad for Garcia ... I sure do like him. Glad for my Colston and the rest of the Saints.

John said...

I was getting scared with 3:00 to go, when Reggie fumbled that pitch. I'm really glad the Saints won. Don't forget, there are several ex-Cowboy spares with them, as well as HC Sean Payton and DC Gary Gibbs.

I hope Seattle upsets the Bears. That would be great to have the NFC championship game in Chocolate City (with all apologies to Mayor Nagin).

Zee said...

Billy Cundiff is no spare!

Speaking of scared - that hit Bush took on the second play of the game. That looked harsh, but he sucked it up and kept playing. I felt bad about that fumble too - just hate that something like that could have ended their season (like the cowboys last week).

I can't believe you said, "Chocolate City."

John said...

The Mayor called it Chocolate City before I did. The Big Easy works for me.

That's the difference between a blog and a paid column: you can get away with a lot more. :-) You'd never see the word suck on ESPN.com.

Zee said...

No, but you'd see the word "Booty"! lol

Booty could return Trojans to No. 1 ranking

That, my friend, is a great headline!

John said...

I'm not going any further than that. LOL

This is a family blog. :-)

Zee said...

Oh, come on. It's just a link to ESPN's article about Booty and the Trojans.

Here's an excerpt:

Quarterback John David Booty's stellar performance (391 passing yards, four touchdowns) in the Trojans' 32-18 win over Michigan in the Rose Bowl presented by Citi showed he's among the best passers in the country.

Is ESPN contractually obligated to call the Rose Bowl the "Rose Bowl presented by Citi"? That's a little ridiculous, imho.

Zee said...

Oh, also from that Booty article ...

18. TCU Horned Frogs
Why: The Horned Frogs finished the 2006 season with a flourish, winning their last seven games and thumping Northern Illinois 37-7 in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. TCU outscored its last four opponents 172-35. All but two starters, including end Tommy Blake, an All-America candidate, return to a defense that should be among the best in the country. The defense will be tested early -- the Horned Frogs play at Texas on Sept. 8.


I can't wait for 9/8/07! Oh yeah!

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.