Saturday, January 26, 2008

College Hoops-Better Late than Never

Well, not really late, because they've been playing for two and a half months. Late as in my interest in the sport.

I used to love college hoops. I still love the NCAA tournament. The first two days of the tournament are my favorite two days of the year. I've just had the hardest time getting into college basketball this year. I watch games and barely know what is going on.

I know Memphis and Kansas are both undefeated. I know the Pac 10 has a lot of good teams. I know the Atlantic 10 is vastly improved this year. And, I know Drake, of all teams, has only lost one game all year going into today.

I can't explain my lack of interest in hoops. Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's because there are games every night. Maybe I like the once-a-week high that football gives me. I don't know.

But, better late than never. I'll have some hoops stuff later on. Coming later will be tournament field projections.

Oh, yeah, in the Alphabet Soup Game of the Week, IUPUI beat IPFW today, 77-59. There is not a school called EIEIO, and they do not have a basketball team. These weren't labor unions, either. Seriously, it was the battle of Indiana-Purdue joint campuses, and Indianapolis got the best of Fort Wayne. At least IPFW doesn't call itself IUPUFW.

In the meantime, there are just two football games left: the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl. How sad.

5 comments:

Zee said...

I'm not sure what it is either. I used to love college hoops. I'd watch it a ton in the past, but now I could care less until the "big dance"! lol Maybe they should go to a bowl system. ;)

John said...

Yeah, the BCS of college basketball. Memphis would be the token non-BCS team, and would have to play some Big East team in the Orange Bowl or something. :-) In the meantime, KU would play UCLA or somebody in the Sugar Bowl for the national championship. That's a great way to determine a national champion. LOL

Anonymous said...

Yeah - thanks for the reminder on how much the BCS SUCKS!

John said...

Furthermore, every sport should use a bowl system.

In the NFL, the Patriots and Cowboys would have automatic bids to the Super Bowl. The Giants and Packers would have played in another BCS game. The Colts and the Chargers would have played in another bowl.

In Major League Baseball, the Red Sox and the Yankees could play each other in the World Series every year. After all, they have large fan bases and big TV markets.

In the NBA, the Lakers and Celtics could skip the playoffs and play a championship game.

In the NHL, Toronto and Montreal could play each other every year in a bowl game. It doesn't matter that the Leafs always stink, and that Montreal is mediocre, but that there are tons of hockey fans in Toronto that would go to the game or watch it on TV.

Of course the bowl system is a farce. The BCS makes it even worse!

Zee said...

I love your perspective on the bowl system and BCS. You are right on target!