Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Classic

Last night's game between OU and Boise State was a pure classic.

My Sooners, in all honesty, should have gotten their butts kicked. It is a testimony to them that they made the comeback after being down 28-10 in the 3rd quarter and playing like dog poop. But, these guys have overcome a lot this year, and made the plays necessary to tie and then take the lead.

Hats off to Boise State, though. They throw what looked like a game-losing interception to go down seven. They then go down the field, convert a 4th and 18 with a hook and ladder for a touchdown, and tie the game to force overtime. In overtime, they used a halfback pass and a Statue of Liberty play to win the game, 43-42. Their coaching staff pulled out all the stops, and everything worked.

It's a shame someone had to lose this game.

There are greater implications, though. Boise State more than proved that they belong in the BCS. In a perfect world, this would be to college football what the Jets-Colts Super Bowl III was for the pros: a statement screaming for change, in this case, a playoff. I doubt if we see a playoff, but Boise showed us how great a playoff would be.

I don't ever like for Oklahoma to lose. I would much rather they win. However, I take no shame in losing this game. It was a game for the ages, and ought to have an even greater impact.

I just wish Boise would have beaten someone else. :-)

2 comments:

Zee said...

I have a good friend who does not watch football. As shocking as that is, this is the one game this year he did watch. He said, "If all football games were like this, I'd watch 'em all the time."

Orange won.

John said...

Yeah, SpongeBoise OrangePants won.

I wish Boise would have played someone else in their BCS game. I could be on their bandwagon then. :-)

Still, there is no shame in losing that game.